Fat Fueled Recipe: Grain Free Dairy Free Lasagna
I love to recreate my favorite comfort foods to align with my lifestyle. I've been grain and dairy free for some time now, and lasagna has been a childhood favorite of mine that I wanted to eat again!
This recipe was made easy by a few products I have highlighted in the ingredients list. The lasagna "noodles" were made with Siete Grain Free Tortillas and the cheese was a mix of Nuttin Ordinary Italian Blend cashew cheese and soaked cashews. Without these key pieces, this lasagna might not have come out as well! Just look at that layered goodness...
I made this lasagna twice in one week and it was gone in one day each time. I had friends over visiting who polished the pan off without realizing it was a paleo friendly dish! Check out the recipe below and be sure to tag us in your photos on social media using #fatfueledrecipes!
Grain Free Dairy Free Lasagna
1 package of Siete Grain Free Tortillas
1 jar of Muir Glen Organic Tomato Sauce
1 package of Nuttin Ordinary Cashew Cheese Italian Blend
1 lb grass fed beef
1 small white onion, chopped
2 cups raw cashews, soaked for 24 hours
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
2 garlic cloves
1 1/2 tbsp italian seasoning
2 tsp granulated garlic
salt and pepper
2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
1. Begin by soaking the cashews in water for 24 hours. Drain and rinse until water runs clear.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a large skillet and sauté chopped onion and garlic cloves until translucent and fragrant.
3. Add in beef and use a spatula to break up the meat. Cook until browned through.
4. While meat is cooking, whirl soaked cashews, cashew cheese , garlic powder, basil, 1/2 tbsp italian seasoning, salt and pepper in a food processor until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste.
5. When meat is cooked, turn the heat down to low and pour in tomato sauce, reserving about 2 tbsps for the lasagna pan. Season with remaining tablespoon of italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
6. In a square 8x8 pan (a pie plate would work as well), spread 2 tbsp of tomato sauce into the bottom of the pan. Begin to layer the lasagna beginning with a Siete grain free tortilla followed by spreading cashew cheese, then meat sauce and repeat until pan is filled.
7. Bake lasagna in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes and then turn off the heat. Allow the lasagna to rest in the oven for 15 more minutes and then remove to cool slightly. Slice into squares and serve with any remaining sauce you have!